Saturday, October 10, 2009

October10, 2009

On The Road To The Home of “The King”

we're not exactly the first folks in these parts

We awoke to an Alabama rain. We checked The Weather Channel but they were much more into North Platte’s 17 inches of snow and the potential for a blizzard ball game in Denver.

We were told it would be drizzly till noon and conditions would improve. They were wrong but it turned out to be a perfect bicycling day.

Yesterday was sunny and in the mid-eighties. Today never got out of the fifties. Plus the there was of wind was out of the north. While the weather kept most all Alabamans indoors life couldn’t have been better from a cycle seat. The drizzle was perfect for keeping sweat off your face, there was little to no car or motorcycle traffic, and the miles just flew by.


Crossing the bridge over the Tennessee River, a huge expanse of water, not a single boat was in sight. Later on while crossing over the Tenn-Tom Waterway (it connects the Mississippi by water all over the south according to their website and who knew? I didn’t and had to look it up) there was but one boat, a couple of good old boys fishing for bass in what we would call ski parka’s but give them credit as both caught fish while I was on the bridge.

We crossed into Mississippi ending our three states in three days string, Natchez being 280 miles away.


the stud-ette rolls into Mississippi

Mississippi is one state I know nothing about. I’ve been through it maybe twice, driving from Alabama to New Orleans.

I know it’s famous for writers; Tennessee Williams was actually from Mississippi, as were William Faulkner, John Grisham and Eudora Welty.

Athletes? How about Jerry Rice, Walter Payton and Colorado Rockie Seth Smith.

Country music is filled with Mississippians like Faith Hill and Charlie Pride. But that’s all I know.

My son-in-law thinks the education he received at Southern Miss was ahead of the teaching style at Cornell University’s Medical School. Friends have raved about the towns of Meridian, Hattiesburg and Oxford. So we’ll have to check out Mississippi from a bicycle.

Tonight we’re in Tupelo home of one of the greats. That’s right Tammy Wynette was from Tupelo. And also this other guy.

First time I saw Elvis? It was 1955 and Tommy and Jimmy Dorsey had a summer replacement show that took the place of Jackie Gleason on Saturday night. They had on Elvis and I was hooked. One, I thought he was talented. Two, my Dad couldn’t stand him. I purchased every record he released both on Sun and later RCA Victor. Before the drugs, the sycophants, the obesity (can you imagine the calories in a peanut butter and nanner samich?) there was the consummate entertainer. He was “The King”.

Tomorrow it’s down the road toward Starkville. And GO BRONCOS & ROX!

No comments:

Post a Comment