Tonight we sleep in America’s funniest city. At least in Neil Simon’s eyes. His 1975 movie “The Sunshine Boys”, a story of an elderly vaudeville comedy team who loathe one another, had the Walter Mathau character saying, “Funny words have a k in them. Pickle and ketchup are funny, mustard is not. Kumquat is funny, pistachio is not.” Forget Poughkeepsie, tonight Jan and I wrap “the draperies of our couch about us and lie down to pleasant dreams” in Keokuk, with two ‘k’s” Iowa.
Keokuk, named for a famous, or so they claim, Indian Chief and, in fact, the Keokuk High School athletic teams are called The Chiefs, is a most pleasant community on the banks of the Mississippi at the southern most tip of the Hawkeye state.


We motored the entire length of Cornland today. From Northfield at Minnesota’s edge to Keokuk on Missouri’s door, the Maynards took in all the sights Iowa has to offer in early fall. That would be corn. From Mason City to Charles City, Rockwell City to Iowa City it was corn to the left and corn to the right.
While Jan is an Iowa native, I’m not. Although I attended Iowa’s one true institution of higher learning, Iowa State in Ames, I was raised across the Mississippi in Illinois. Jan is fond of telling people her husband is a social climber, an Iowa wannabe envious of all that Iowa offers, because I was raised in the Land of Lincoln. Therefore, I am required to watch my mouth when it comes to her native soil. Only the native born are allowed a discouraging word about Iowa, where they put the heart in the heartland. Well, that’s what she told me. While the scenery was never changing, as they say here in Grant Wood country, “We made real good time.”

Iowa State Homecoming Queen 1958
Southern Iowa from the car

Some things, however, never change. Despite today’s absolutely perfect 75 and sunny temps, tomorrow’s forecast is for 62 and rain. For those who followed the cross-country tour six years ago you are well aware I’m picking up right where I left off.
In the morning I’ll cross the bridge, turn left in Hamilton, Illinois, pedal the Great River Road to Quincy and on down to Huck Finn country, Hannibal, Missouri. Tomorrow morning the “Ride to Red Stick” is finally, officially, underway.
And with Iowa once again in my rear-view mirror we leave the land of corn with “Iowa Stubborn” from Mason City’s Meredith Wilson’s “Music Man”.
No comments:
Post a Comment